Networker

Re: [Networker] tape utilization

2008-03-31 17:57:03
Subject: Re: [Networker] tape utilization
From: Curtis Preston <cpreston AT GLASSHOUSE DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 17:49:02 -0400
> So there is no such thing as tape skipping?  A %used=100 tape will
> have at least 400GB of uncompressed data on it?

I've been told that the IBM TS1120 will do tape skipping, and the
documentation hints at it, but doesn't confirm it.  It allegedly will
keep on moving across the tape at it's minimum speed even it it has no
data to write -- allegedly to completely eliminate shoe shining.  If
this is true, you could end up with a tape with much less than it's
native capacity if you were sending data to it really slowly.

Anyone with a TS1120 that can do a test for me?

I've tried to get this verified one way or the other, but tape vendors
are leery to talk to me these days as they say that I'm an anti-tape guy
who has gone all disk now.  (Not true, but I'm definitely pretty big on
disk as an initial backup target.)