Networker

Re: [Networker] tape utilization

2008-03-29 17:34:40
Subject: Re: [Networker] tape utilization
From: Dag Nygren <dag AT NEWTECH DOT FI>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 23:30:25 +0200
> On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 01:38:43PM -0500, Eugene Vilensky wrote:
> > So there is no such thing as tape skipping?
>
> I've heard many admins refer to such things without any references.
> I've never seen documentation of it before.  That doesn't mean that it
> doesn't exist.
>
> Very close to that concept was an older model drive (SDLT or something
> maybe) where it would disable compression if the tape wasn't keeping
> up.  But even that drive wouldn't *skip* tape to keep up.

At least all the DLT drives have a "capacity mode" and a "performance mode"
with the  following features:

Capacity mode:
- Would always stop the reels when no more data available
- thus always uses the tape to it's full extent

Performance mode:
- Will "fill" with empty data up to a certain amount if no data
in the buffer. Just in case there would be some available later...
- This avoids start/stop of the tape as much as possible
- Will waste a lot of space when the data stream is below the
native speed. My worst case is 40% wasted.

The modes were selectable with a jumper in early DLT drives, but
later this jumper was hard soldered, because of bad
performance/publicity, using the  capacity mode.

I have been told that the LTO drives have the same functionality
with the exception that they can slow down the reel speed up to
1/4 of the native speed until they start using the perfomance mode.
Have not checked this though so...

Best
Dag