Networker

Re: [Networker] Backing up to CIFS, NFS

2008-03-20 11:00:30
Subject: Re: [Networker] Backing up to CIFS, NFS
From: "Goslin, Paul" <pgoslin AT CINCOM DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 10:55:02 -0400
My experience has been this with NFS and CIFS (hosted on a EMC Celerra). NFS
mounted filesystems backup fine when done via a Unix or Linux client they are
mounted on. Speed seems to depend on your overall network throughput
capabilities. CIFS on the other hand can be a problem as they only seem to be
mounted by Windows for an active login session and are not normally permanently
available to all users / processes of the Windows server client unless they are
somehow mapped to a permanent drive partition each and every boot time (don't
know if this is possible as I am a Unix weenie). I would suggest backing them
up from the machine that hosts the storage somehow if it is a supported
client...
I am not aware of any 'tuning' capability within Networker to adjust the
performance, what you get is what you get...