Networker

Re: [Networker] Backing up to CIFS, NFS

2008-03-20 17:55:04
Subject: Re: [Networker] Backing up to CIFS, NFS
From: Rodney Rutherford <rrutherf AT TRIPOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 16:36:47 -0500
Terry,

That is exactly what I do, I just create a hidden root share for each filesystem and use that path, or in the case of my EMC Celerra NAS, I
can access all of the CIFS filesystems via \\servername\c$.

As for permissions, what you need to do is create a service account with
the proper permissions, and have the NetWorker service on the client
you are using to backup the CIFS volumes, run under the service account.

For my savesets, I list each CIFS filesystem separately, so it looks
like:

        save set: "\\\\s01-ns40-cifs\\c$\\dept_docs",
                  "\\\\s01-ns40-cifs\\c$\\dept_hr",
                  "\\\\s01-ns40-cifs\\c$\\dept_is",
                  "\\\\s01-ns40-cifs\\c$\\dept_research";

Rodney

Terry Lemons wrote:
Hi Paul

Thanks for the reply. According to the NetWorker documentation, CIFS file shares should be mounted via UNC mount point. Would mounting them that way affect the issue you saw: "CIFS on the other hand can be a problem as they only seem to be mounted by Windows for an active login session and are not normally permanently available . . ."?

Thanks
tl

<snip>