Networker

Re: [Networker] logical and physical device mapping

2007-09-19 10:24:36
Subject: Re: [Networker] logical and physical device mapping
From: "Wood, R A (Bob)" <WoodR AT CHEVRON DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 15:19:45 +0100
There are several elements to AlphaStor/Networker/library device
mappings.

The real devices are seen by the OS as normal devices /dev/0cbn type of
thing. When you do an inquire you should see these real devices (along
with WWNN etc.)

The AlphaStor agents (library control program (LCP) and device control
program (DCP)) will interact directly with these real devices.

AlphaStor does a clever trick when configuring a library. It gets the
library and drive detail from the agents then you are prompted for the
hosts that are allowed to see the drives. Then it takes a tape, any
tape, and loads it into the first drive of the library then polls round
the hosts to see where they see that particular tape. It then logs the
host name and device name next to that device. It continues in this
fashion until all drives have been 'discovered'. This takes care of
drives that appear in different order (for whatever reason) to the real
order.

So, now we have a library defined to AlphaStor with a map of what drive
is where oon each host.

Running nsrjb using AkphaStor/Smartmedia jukebox finishes off the
process. During this process you are not worried about real devices
because AlphaStor is, in effect, virtualising the devices for you. You
only need to give meaningful names (such as Drive1, Drive2, etc.)

So, back to your original question, how do you tell the real device
mappings. Edit the device in AlphaStor and you will see a list of
connections, these correspond to each host and the device name within
that host.

Hopw this helps

Bob

Bob Wood
Senior Technical Analyst

ITC - EMEAE London eHub
Chevron Limited
1 Westferry Circus, Canary Wharf
London, E14 4HA
Tel +44(0)20 7719 3885
Fax +44(0)20 7719 5101
woodr AT chevron DOT com

Chevron Limited. Registered in England and Wales (145197). Registered
office 1 Westferry Circus, Canary Wharf, London, England, E14 4HA