Networker

Re: [Networker] Barcode suffixes on STK SL500 tape library?

2007-09-11 06:02:41
Subject: Re: [Networker] Barcode suffixes on STK SL500 tape library?
From: Yaron Zabary <yaron AT ARISTO.TAU.AC DOT IL>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 12:58:21 +0300
Lee Roth wrote:
A few months ago I upgraded from a small 22-slot Qualstar tape library to
a Sun/StorageTek SL500 unit (http://tinyurl.com/3chghn) with 100 slots.
(The Qualstar TLS8222 was a darn good unit and ran trouble-free for
years).

When the Qualstar used to report the cartridge barcode label, it would
include the suffix characters, e.g. 000123L2 - "L2" means LTO2 cartridge,
or 000242L3 - "L3" means LTO3 cartridge.

The new SL500 reports no media type suffix - e.g. all I get is 000123 or
000242 on the above two cartridges.

Since this is a StorageTek device, technical info (via the web) on it is
darn scarce as compared to (usually) readily available technical info on
Sun gear. Likewise, I cannot configure hardly any of the
parameters/functions (e.g. SCSI IDs, LUNs, reserved slots for cleaning
tapes) on the SL500 myself... some tech has to come out with a laptop and
provision it. Being an old tech myself I'm not too keen about that aspect
of the unit; otherwise it has been performing well and I have no
complaints.

I do like the modular expandable feature of the SL500 so that I can add
drive+slot or slot-only expansion boxes until I fill the entire height of
a 19-inch rack.

Question: Does anyone know if there is a setting in the SL500 that will
cause the barcode to report the suffix characters from the LTO labels (L1,
L2, L3)? The tech claimed to know of no setting for this, but I'm not sure
I am buying that explanation.

I has a similar issue when I switched from ADIC Scalar 1000 to Overland NEO8000. Apparently, the Scalar 1000 was sending 6 characters barcodes and the NEO8000 (with its default config) was sending 8 character barcodes, so when I moved the cartridges to the NEO8000, I started getting barcodes of the form 000001L2 (which was originally labeled as 000001). The solution was to instruct the NEO8000 to use 6 character barcodes. This option was accessible from the LCD config on the library.

Thanks!

--

-- Yaron.