Networker

Re: [Networker] Barcode suffixes on STK SL500 tape library?

2007-09-11 05:42:55
Subject: Re: [Networker] Barcode suffixes on STK SL500 tape library?
From: Conrad Macina <conrad.macina AT PFIZER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 05:35:46 -0400
We run into this in DR. Our "home" libraries delete the media type suffix
when they read barcodes and the "away" libraries include it. That means
NetWorker doesn't recognize any of the tape labels and has to read each tape
in order to use it.

Here's what I think I know about the media type suffix, based on very
limited experience:

Quantum/ADIC i500 and i2000 have an option accessible both from the front
panel and the Web GUI. You can make the media type a prefix, suffix or drop
it entirely at your option.

By default, larger IBM libraries include the media type as a suffix. They're
said to offer an option to ignore it via the Web interface (which I've never
seen) but not via the front panel.

The Sun/StorageTek L-series and SL-series always ignore the media type. If
there's a way to get them to report it, I'm not aware of it.

Conrad Macina
Pfizer, Inc.