Networker

Re: [Networker] Restore wants clone tapes instead of stage tapes

2007-09-11 00:34:40
Subject: Re: [Networker] Restore wants clone tapes instead of stage tapes
From: Preston de Guise <enterprise.backup AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 14:29:51 +1000
Marteen, Kevin,

> this is a known behaviour of networker. Commonly it is adressed by
> manually setting all savesets on offsite tapes to 'suspect'.
> this can be done with one of the cli commands nsrmm if im not mistaken.

Alternatively, as of NetWorker 7.3.2 it is now possible to flag the volume
as offsite, which is different from giving it an offsite location.

nsrmm -o [not]offsite volume

This is used by NetWorker to determine proximity for restores. If a volume
which is marked offsite has a saveset with a lower cloneid than a volume
which is NOT marked as offsite but has a higher cloneid, NetWorker will now
request the volume which is NOT offsite first.

I.e., it supports a backup to disk -> clone to tape -> stage to tape
scenario.

Setting the volume as suspect while a workaround is a messy one since it
obviously impacts the perceived usability of the volume in NetWorker.
Wherever possible, if you're using a recent enough volume, you should make
use of the "offsite" nsrmm flag instead.

Note that mminfo currently has no way of being queried on whether a volume
is _flagged_ as offsite. If you want this functionality, request that you be
added to RFE LGTsc07449.

Cheers,

Preston de Guise.

--