Networker

Re: [Networker] Backup - Log / Checklist

2007-03-23 18:22:29
Subject: Re: [Networker] Backup - Log / Checklist
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 14:20:41 -0800
> We are going thru an internal audit right now, and a question was asked
> of us, that I am confident I will hear more on.  (and not in a good
> way).
>
> We have hundreds of Clients and approx 200 groups.

Do you have a list of clients or groups that need to be backed up other
than the Networker configuration?

> I have Operations staff that monitor the backups, however they don't
> have a checklist that says X Group should kick off at X time, etc. etc.
>
> Some of our backups are kicked off by Legato, others are kicked off by
> Tivoli Workload Scheduler.
>
> Can anyone share with me their method to verify that the backups that
> should ran, has actually ran etc.  I gave the analogy, that if we were
> working on a group and decided to not have it auto start, and forgot to
> put it back to auto start, there would be no way for the staff to know.
> Would love to hear how others are dealing with this.

If you have an "intention" document (the list of clients or groups that
you intend to back up), then it's a matter of cross referencing the
Networker information against it.  I often pull information from the
media database and cross check.  It's not perfect because the media
database won't tell you about file-level errors.

But it makes sure you're not missing something that isn't scheduled.

> Failures are not an issue, the team is all over that, it's just a matter
> of ensuring that all of the backups have been run.  I know you are going
> to say, put a check list together, etc. etc.  Again, it's HUNDREDS of
> clients...If that's the only way, then I guess that's what we'll have to
> do.

Automation.  If you're good with scripting, all of that is possible.

There are also commercial solutions.  I know Aptare, Bocada, and
Tek-tools all have backup reporting products that will attempt to show
you when a client drops out of having successful backups.