Networker

Re: [Networker] Legato support worse than usual?

2005-02-08 08:02:39
Subject: Re: [Networker] Legato support worse than usual?
From: Oscar Olsson <spam1 AT QBRANCH DOT SE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 13:55:23 +0100
On Tue, 8 Feb 2005, Rathindra Nath Dhali IT wrote:

RNDI> We've been experiencing "Legato Support" for last six months. True, that
RNDI> they are quick enough to response for easier questions. They halt at
RNDI> hard ones.

I won't make this into a marathon thread, but it seems like many people
agree on that Legato Support seems to have troubles fixing larger
problems. And in my opinion, isn't that why one would be interested in
purchasing support for these kinds of problems? I mean, resolving simpler
issues can often be done without a support agreement, a mere knowledgebase
access should take care of that. Or access to the documentation.

Considering the cost of Legato support, I still believe one should expect
more from that service, since its the tougher issues and the pure software
bugs that are the largest issues most of the time.

RNDI> However, Overall performance of NetWorker Software is good to me.

Well, as long as you are aware of the quirks and bugs, you can learn to
live with it. But as a previous poster said earlier in this thread, I also
experience that I have to babysit Networker too much due to too many
oddities and possible bugs.

For instance:

* SYSTEM STATE fails to back up intermittently on machines running
webtrends.
* NDMP support in 7.1 is still flaky and feels unreliable in general
* The NDMP tape device fails to mount upon restart of networker, since
7.1.3
* Netware support is still flaky, and requires a debug variable in 7.1.3
* Some savegroups never time out, they just hang forever, intermittently,
especially if they have netware clients in them.
* Name resolution is severely broken in 7.X, one must thus use the short
name as an alias, which can't be resolved if you don't control naming of
hosts.

I don't mean to whine, but rather share my experiences with the community,
so that we can get a better product from EMC. I guess its a combination of
initial product stability and level3 support that makes it frustrating at
times to use networker.

//Oscar