Networker

Re: [Networker] Re-labeling versus recycling?

2003-05-01 12:30:43
Subject: Re: [Networker] Re-labeling versus recycling?
From: Marc Levitan <marc.levitan AT PFPC DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 12:24:00 -0400
To the best of my knowledge, the tape will be over written if:

 all of the savesets on the tape are recyclable.
This gets into dependencies on other savesets and other issues that have
been discussed on this list in the past...
You can check the archives.

Also, if the tape stays in the same pool, as the savesets expire, new
savesets will append.

If all of the savesets have expired on the tape, the tape is marked
recyclable.  It can now be relabled and used in other pools if that option
is selected, or appended to if it stays in the same pool.

So... if it remains in the same pool it will be appendable, if it is moved
to a new pool it will be overwritten.

**** Anyone, please correct me if I am wrong!

                    Legato NetWorker
                    discussion                   To:     NETWORKER AT
LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
                    <[email protected]        cc:
                    EMPLE.EDU>                   Subject:     Re: [Networker]
Re-labeling versus recycling?

                    05/01/2003 12:11 PM
                    Please respond to
                    Legato NetWorker
                    discussion; Please
                    respond to Vince
                    Howard

Marc,

I accept everything you say.  However, what I'm interested in is whether
using the recycle option will guarantee that the tape will be overwritten,
not just seen as appendable by NetWorker? i.e. if I have a jukebox full of
'full' tapes will the recycle option force them to be overwritten?

Best regards,

Vince
Vince Howard
Programmer/UNIX Systems Administrator
Wansbeck District Council
Front Street West
Bedlington
Northumberland
NE22 5TU
UK

Tel (direct line): +44 (0)1670 843472
fax: +44 (0)1670 843486 / 843484
e-mail: v.howard AT wansbeck.gov DOT uk

they are addressed.

originator of the message. This email message has been scanned
for the presence of computer viruses.

states them to be the views of  Wansbeck District Council.

Wansbeck District Council Web Site is : www.wansbeck.gov.uk