Networker

Re: [Networker] Re-labeling versus recycling?

2003-05-01 12:33:10
Subject: Re: [Networker] Re-labeling versus recycling?
From: Davina Treiber <treiber AT HOTPOP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 12:33:09 -0400
On Thu, 1 May 2003 12:01:25 -0400, Marc Levitan <marc.levitan AT PFPC DOT COM>
wrote:

>Also, recycling allows you to still recover data on the tape until it is
>over written.
>Relabling erases all data for good.

Err, no! There is no difference in the result of relabelling or recycling.
The tape physically has a label written to it. You are confusing recycling
with "marking as recyclable" and this is not what the -R option is doing.

I'm afraid that I don't know the answer to the original question, except
that the -R doesn't prompt when overwriting a recyclable volume. I'm not
exactly sure how this varies from just adding a -Y, but I expect there's a
subtle difference. The -R option is used in the command that NetWorker
generates internally to recycle tapes, but I have never used the -R in any
of my scripts, and have never felt the need to use it.