Networker

Re: [Networker] information store recovery on a restore host

2002-10-12 03:57:45
Subject: Re: [Networker] information store recovery on a restore host
From: Calvin Thomas <calvin.thomas AT NACALOGISTICS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2002 00:58:02 -0700
I have recovered several exchange backups recently using NTbackup,
ArcServit, and Networker  (offline) backups.
Do not let the services try to restart after the restore.  Even better,
restore to another location.

Here is what worked for me on Exchange Server 5.5.  SP3, and SP4 both.
1. Install exchange on the recovery machine.  Machine name doesn't "have" to
be the same, but I recommend it to save time troubleshooting problems
further on.
2. Make SURE the organization name and site names are identical.
Punctuation, and capitalization matter here.
3.  Run the exchange optimizer.  Make sure all pathways to all parts of
exchange are identical to original server.
4.  Install identical service pack of original server.
5. Verify that exchange starts.  Setup and test a mailbox.
6. Shutdown exchange.
7. Move subdirectory exchsrvr\mdbdata somewhere else, and create a new empty
exchsrvr\mdbdata directory.

At this point it diverges slightly depending on if you are doing a live
recovery, or an offline recovery.

8. If offline recovery, copy the recovered IS.priv file into
exchsrvr\mdbdata directory.  Keep a copy so you don't have to recover it
several times.

8. If online recovery, run the software to recover the IS.  DO NOT LET THE
SERVICES RESTART AFTER THE RECOVERY.  Make a copy of the exchsrvr\mdbdata
directory.

9.  Start all exchange services in order.
10. If IS starts fine.  Run the Directory consistency checker to create the
mailboxes in the directory so you have access to the e-mails.
11. If IS doesn't start try this.
12. c:\exchsrvr\isinteg -patch
14. Next try eseutil /r /IS.  Then go back to 12;
15. Last try eseutil  /p /IS then go back to 12.

Between steps, I recommend you rename your data directory (exchsrvr\mdbdata)
to something else and put the original (that you renamed in step 7 above)
back.
Restart exchange and verify it still comes up.  If it doesn't, remove
exchange, and reinstall it as in steps 1-5 above.

SOMETIMES, exchange will no longer come up at all after some failed
restarts. The first time it doesn't restart, you may have damaged the
installation enough that it will never work until you remove and reinstall
it.

Using W2K, you almost have to set up a mini domain, and a seperate domain
controller.  One warning.  If you set up your exchange server with the same
name as the original, do not ever allow this domain controller to sync up
with the domain controllers on the main domain. I did this for 2-3 minutes,
and my domain controller promptly changed the IP address of the main mail
server in active directory!!!!

I did this using a desktop machine, W2K Advanced Server Eval, 2 - 120GB IDE
drives , and a second machine as a W2K domain controller (if you need to
rename your machine it can't be a domain controller).  I copied exchange
server 5.5 setup, SP3, and SP4 to hard drive and ran them from there. I
could remove and reinstall exchange SP3, or 4 in about 10 minutes.

Hope this helps.

Calvin E. Thomas
NACA Logistics
UNIX system administrator