Networker

[Networker] information store recovery on a restore host

2002-10-10 14:54:02
Subject: [Networker] information store recovery on a restore host
From: Ingo Roschmann <ingo AT VISIONET DOT DE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 14:54:01 -0400
Hi all,

we are trying to restore an exchange 5.5 information store on a restore
host for later recovering a single mailbox.

Problem: after restoring from tape, the IS service on the restore host does
not start.

Our configuration:
Original Exchange Server: WinNT 4.0 SP6, Exchange Server 5.5 SP 4,
Networker 6.1.1, Exchange BSO 2.0.005
Exchange Server Restore Host: Win2000 SP3, Exchange Server 5.5 SP 4,
Networker 6.1.1, Exchange BSO 2.0.005
Networker Server: Solaris 8, Networker 6.1.1

What we have done:
- we have read the Tech Bulletin 322.
- installed the Exchange Server on the restore host with the same domain
account as the original server (i.e. the exchange service account is the
same domain account)
- configured new organization and site with the same name as the original
Exchange Server, different hostname (this should not matter as we do not
plan to restore the directory)
- recovered an online backup of the IS from tape via directed recovery

Then:
- System attendant and directory services are starting normal
- when trying to start the IS service, it tries to start until timeout and
remains in a pending state
- no messages are to be found in event log

Trying to use exmerge to extract mailboxes ends with an error, we had not
sufficient rights to access the IS; we tried configuring an empty mailbox
with the same name as the one we want to extract - same thing.

Now we have had several hints like
- maybe the service pack levels affect the structure of the database
- to delete (or at least rename) all files in the dsadata-directories
before restoring the IS,
but in the first case we don't really know what to test and trying to do
the second thing didn't work.

Can anyone give us a hint what we could have missed or what to test further?
So far we have no working environment for restoring a mailbox (horror!)

Thanks,
Ingo