Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula Director CLUSTER

2015-05-19 01:03:10
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula Director CLUSTER
From: Ana Emília M. Arruda <emiliaarruda AT gmail DOT com>
To: Carlo Filippetto <carlo.filippetto AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Tue, 19 May 2015 01:58:20 -0300
Hello Carlo!

On Mon, May 18, 2015 at 3:09 PM, Carlo Filippetto <carlo.filippetto AT gmail DOT com> wrote:

"The new copies can not be used for restoration unless you specifically choose them by JobId.​"

I read it, but propably I don't undertand it in the correct way... (I'm Italian)

​Don't worry :)​. I'm neither an english native.

I read that I can do a "restore copy" job that restore the original Job.
You say me that I can do a normal "restore" job and there  select the ID of the copy instead of the original Job?

​Yes you will can do the restore selecting the CopyJobId of the copy job (this value is returned by a "list copies" from bconsole).​ Bacula will use the CopyJobId and the volume used by this copy job to do the restore.

If I'm in the situation to use the site2, I need to restore from the copy, because I will have only the secondary SD, not the primary one that is lost with all the Servers.

​You will not have the volumes from site1 on site2, but you will have all the catalog information, because they will be replicated. Supposing that you will have an identical catalog and the copy jobs volumes on your site2, you should propably have no problem for restores​.

Another question:
May I use the Copy Job to create a "Virtual Full" backup?

​I see your point here. In the case you need to start using Bacula on site2 because of a disaster on site1, you will need to start incremental and differential jobs using the copy job. And then use the copy job plus the diff and incr to have a new Virtual Full. I did some tests and it seems it works fine. Also, since you will not have the volumes of your original backup jobs on site2 (i'm supposing you will have on site2 just the volumes of resulting copy jobs), it could be interesting to not replicate the original backup jobs into your catalog on site2. This way bacula will promote the copy jobs to "normal" backup jobs. And you will not have backup jobs in your catalog for which you do not have the corresponding volumes. Before starting the use of Bacula from site2 you could simply delete from catalog in site2 all your jobs Type=F,D,I and all the copy jobs should be promoted to normal backup jobs.

Thank you ANA, I have to offer you an Italian's coffee

​Thank you :)​