Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula is only is not using full tape space

2015-05-15 11:10:22
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula is only is not using full tape space
From: Heitor Faria <heitor AT bacula.com DOT br>
To: Markus Rosjat <rosjat AT ghweb DOT de>
Date: Fri, 15 May 2015 15:05:51 +0000 (UTC)
>> >         My Backupjobs started to use less tape space then expected a year
>> > ago the System is
>> >         quiet aged so this is running on a 2003 SBS with a bacula version 3
>> >         Like I said it started from one day to the other that tapes got
>> >         written on but less then the expected 350+ GB for a LTO3 tape.

Markus: Tape real capacity relies on the compression ration of the files you
are storing. If you have more compressed data (e.g.: jpg, mp3, gz etc.) your
tapes will hold less information since maximum capacity is just an estimation
of hardware compression performance.

>> >         what Ive done so far: - changed terminator - canged cable -
>> > changed the
>> >         drive - changed the whole autoloader - used brand new tapes -
>> > cleaned
>> >         drive a dozen times

Never do that. Cleaning tapes are abrasive and cleaning should be handled by
autochanger, probably setting a reserved slot for it.

>> >         - used HP tools to check for problems nothing
>> >         really help, in fact its getting even worse. We started with 3
>> > tapes
>> >         for less then 1TB and now Im at 6 tapes for 1,2 TB of data. I get
>> > this
>> >         line for every Tape that reaches the "end" of the tape or better
>> >         bacula thinks its the end 02-May 17:12 fg-back-sd JobId 11840:
>> > Error:
>> >         Error writing final EOF to tape. This Volume may not be readable.
>> >         /home/kern/bacula/k/bacula/src/stored/dev.c:1723 ioctl MTWEOF
>> > error on
>> >         "LTO3" (Tape0). ERR=Input/output error.
>> >         but some post on the list

Did you try to upgrade autoloader windows drivers and firmware?
Just as a wild shot, you can try to write two EOF
(http://www.bacula.org/5.2.x-manuals/en/main/main/Storage_Daemon_Configuratio.html):
"TWO EOF = yesno | If Yes, Bacula will write two end of file marks when
terminating a tape - i.e. after the last job or at the end of the medium. If
No, the default, Bacula will only write one end of file to terminate the tape."

>> >         suggest this is normal for a windows environement and I got this
>> > when
>> >         all worked well too. The strange part is I havent changed any
>> > config
>> >         at all. since I know some people will tell me without logs and
>> > stuff
>> >         there is nothing to tell I will not ask for possible causes
>> > because we
>> >         going to change the backup in autmn anyway and we will move on from
>> >         bacula with all the problems we had over the last year. But back
>> > to my
>> >         question, is there any thing that bacula does to mark the end of a
>> >         tape even its not the end?

This is a not recommended workaround, but you could set a Maximum Volume Bytes
for the tapes.

>> >         And additional is it possible to remove
>> >         this marker (if it exist possibly in the database) . Like I said
>> > in my
>> >         opinion its not passible that 4 brand new tapes have errors arround
>> >         200GB of written data. Regards

Is hardware compression enabled?