Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] bacula 7 rpm again (Fedora/RHEL/CentOS repo): update kills running jobs

2015-05-15 11:07:24
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] bacula 7 rpm again (Fedora/RHEL/CentOS repo): update kills running jobs
From: Dimitri Maziuk <dmaziuk AT bmrb.wisc DOT edu>
To: Simone Caronni <negativo17 AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Fri, 15 May 2015 10:04:51 -0500
On 2015-05-15 02:34, Simone Caronni wrote:

> I think you've done some confusion. First of all, don't upgrade packages
> while you're using the softwre.

Wrong. Counter-examples: yum update kernel does not trigger an automatic
reboot. Apache's "graceful" option lets you restart it without killing
existing connections. So does ssh these days. I don't think postgres
server gets restarted on update (ICBW).

So this isn't universally true. Whether bacula daemons can or should be
automatically restarted with no regard to what may be going on is
another question.

> The latest update only contained the dependency on some fonts for the
> specific usage case of the graphical console forwarded on a headless
> server and has nothing to do with the issue you are posting:

When yum-cron is able to tell the difference and stops sending me
e-mails for updates I don't need this will be relevant. Right now I get
an e-mail with a list of updated rpms, I check if there's things like
kernel or glibc in there; if not I just run "yum -Cy up" over a bunch of
hosts.

Like I said, now I know to count bacula updates like kernel updates.

Dima