Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula is only is not using full tape space

2015-05-15 10:44:41
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula is only is not using full tape space
From: Markus Rosjat <rosjat AT ghweb DOT de>
To: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>, bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 15 May 2015 16:42:38 +0200
yes we have 3 services running

storage daemon
file daemon
directory daemon

Version 3.0.3 (18 October 2009)

like I said it kinda outdated but still running

I did some more testing on the drive the oder day and with some random
data it dropes to a 0.9mb/s data rate
so I'll check out the cable and controller again

regards

Markus

Am 15.05.2015 um 14:38 schrieb Kern Sibbald:
> Hello Heitor,
>
> Yes, 2009!  I clearly remember version 2.x and versions 5.x, but 3.0 is so old
> that I forgot about it.  It seems to me that was just when Robert Nelson just
> implemented the Windows Dir and SD, but he got busy with other stuff to make
> his
> living that he never had the time to fully debug/test it, and with no one to
> support it we eventually dropped the Windows Dir and SD.
>
> The Windows SD is back, but without tape support.  Maybe some later date.
>
> Best regards,
> Kern
>

> On 16.05.2015 13:25, Heitor Faria wrote:
> > Hello Kern / Rosjat,
> >
> > I don't recommend but it was kind of funny setting Bacula director on
> > Windows
> > machines:
> > http://sourceforge.net/projects/bacula/files/z-older-releases/bacula/3.0.3/
> >
> > Cheers,
> > --
> > Heitor Medrado de Faria
> > +55 61 82684220
> > Precisa de treinamento Bacula presencial, telepresencial ou online? Acesse:
> > http://www.bacula.com.br
> >
> > Em 15 de maio de 2015 08:21:18 GMT-02:00, Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT
> > com>
> > escreveu:
> >
> >     Hello,
> >
> >     As far as I know, there was never any Bacula version 3.
> >
> >     Where did you get the binaries?
> >     What is the exact version you are running?
> >     Is your OS Window 2003 SBS?  (if I am not wrong, this system is no
> >     longer supported).
> >
> >     It sounds like your SD is running on a Windows machine and you are
> >     probably running a *very* old or non-existent version of Bacula.
> >
> >     Although there were a few Windows versions that had a Director and a
> >     Storage daemon, the Windows SD and Director have never been fully
> >     supported, and especially writing to tape.  In fact if you are using
> >     Windows to write to tape, I would be interested to hear about it, and in
> >     any case, if it is a Windows system, I am not surprised to hear that
> >     there are problems because I have never had a Windows system with an
> >     attached tape drive to test.
> >
> >     Best regards,
> >     Kern
> >
> >     On 14.05.2015 13:47, Markus Rosjat wrote:
> >
> >         Hi there, we had this toic befor and I#m back again... My Backupjobs
> >         started to use less tape space then expected a year ago the System
> > is
> >         quiet aged so this is running on a 2003 SBS with a bacula version 3
> >         Like I said it started from one day to the other that tapes got
> >         written on but less then the expected 350+ GB for a LTO3 tape. what
> >         Ive done so far: - changed terminator - canged cable - changed the
> >         drive - changed the whole autoloader - used brand new tapes -
> > cleaned
> >         drive a dozen times - used HP tools to check for problems nothing
> [...]

Markus Rosjat    fon: +49 351 8107223    mail: rosjat AT ghweb DOT de

G+H Webservice GbR Gorzolla, Herrmann
Königsbrücker Str. 70, 01099 Dresden

http://www.ghweb.de
fon: +49 351 8107220   fax: +49 351 8107227

Bitte prüfen Sie, ob diese Mail wirklich ausgedruckt werden muss! Before you
print it, think about your responsibility and commitment to the ENVIRONMENT