Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Shadow Copy issue - Fatal error: VssOject is NULL

2015-04-22 04:32:04
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Shadow Copy issue - Fatal error: VssOject is NULL
From: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2015 10:30:02 +0200
Hello,

I would be careful about assuming that VSS is reporting errors on the E
drive.  It could well be some other drive, so it would be a good idea to
check them all.

Generally, VSS has a number of bugs, and you may be triggering one,
which can explain why it works after a reboot and then fails after a few
days.  In general rather than rebooting, you can correct problems in VSS
itself by starting and restarting all the VSS services -- there are a
good number of them, which may be a better temporary workaround than
rebooting.  The best solution would be to find the cause.  Note: Windows
2012 has changed some of the VSS API, and this can cause problems too.
Hopeful in the next couple of months I will have all the Windows 2012
specific problems fixed in the next Bacula Enterprise Windows binary
release.  At some point, there will be a "community" release of the same
code, but this is waiting on additional man power as explained in my
last Bacula Status Report.

Best regards,
Kern