Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] List files in a volume

2015-04-22 03:04:52
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] List files in a volume
From: "Roberts, Ben" <ben.roberts AT gsacapital DOT com>
To: "bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2015 06:43:36 +0000
Hi,

> It would be far quicker to find the files I needed
> and it means I can do this search without interfering with the daily
> backups which are using the same drive. By the way, the CCTV isn't on 100%
> of the time, so having said that the files might not be present and/or the
> filenames not exact, hence the need to browse the volumes.

Bacula stores file details in two ways.

- In the catalog, indexed by JobId (which in turn is linked to a Volume via the VolumeMedia table). These records are held as long as the File Retention period. If you need to restore a file from a fixed date you can use one of the options in the "restore" bconsole command which will ultimately give you a list of files contained within the backup for you to mark and restore.

You can also use two "query" commands from the example query.sql file shipped with Bacula, #14 "List Jobs stored for a given Volume name" and #12 "List Files for a selected JobId" as an alternative to using the "restore" command.

Once the file retention time is reached these records are purged from the database and you'll have to restore the entire backup to retrieve the files, or us "bls" to list the individual volume contents.

- Within the backup volume itself as a header right before the file contents. "bls" will scan through the entire volume, collecting the file records and then present you with an "ls -l" like output. You need the volumes for this operation because it has to physically read the entire volume.

"bls" and the related "bextract" are a lower-level tools intended for data recovery outside of typical day-to-day usage of Bacula. You will likely need to stop your Bacula-sd daemon in order to run them which can also be inconvenient.

Regards,
Ben Roberts

This email and any files transmitted with it contain confidential and proprietary information and is solely for the use of the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient please return the email to the sender and delete it from your computer and you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on this email or its contents. This communication is for informational purposes only. It is not intended as an offer or solicitation for the purchase or sale of any financial instrument or as an official confirmation of any transaction. Any comments or statements made herein do not necessarily reflect those of GSA Capital. GSA Capital Partners LLP is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and is registered in England and Wales at Stratton House, 5 Stratton Street, London W1J 8LA, number OC309261. GSA Capital Services Limited is registered in England and Wales at the same address, number 5320529.