Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Despooling attributes very slow

2014-11-15 16:22:35
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Despooling attributes very slow
From: Will Twomey <termina AT gmail DOT com>
To: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2014 15:16:55 -0600
Hey John,

Thanks for the response.

That hdparm was run during the despooling process which is likely impacting those numbers.  (Although I would argue that 125MB/sec should be more than enough to despool a 45MB file! :))

This does seem to be a mysql issue, as switching to postgres has resolved this. Oddly enough, running myqltuner.pl didn't show any cause for concern.

Thanks again for the prompt response

Will

On Sat, Nov 15, 2014 at 7:12 AM, John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
> # hdparm -tT /dev/md3
>
> /dev/md3:
>  Timing cached reads:   1724 MB in  2.00 seconds = 862.23 MB/sec
>  Timing buffered disk reads: 376 MB in  3.01 seconds = 125.06 MB/sec

These are both very slow for a modern PC. The top number measures
cache/ram speed I would expect this number 2000 to 5000. The bottom
number which measures disk performance is less than a single SATA
drive.

> Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

If you can make sure the database is not on /dev/md3 especially if
this is the source or destination of your backups.

Also did you tune the database? A lot of mysql implementations are
tuned for a ridiculously small amount of ram like 64MB.

John