Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Restores fail because of multiple storages

2013-12-17 09:23:37
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Restores fail because of multiple storages
From: stefano scotti <scottistefano91 AT gmail DOT com>
To: Uwe Schuerkamp <uwe.schuerkamp AT nionex DOT net>, stefano scotti <scottistefano91 AT gmail DOT com>, bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2013 15:19:57 +0100
2013/12/17 Uwe Schuerkamp <uwe.schuerkamp AT nionex DOT net>
On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 05:09:18PM +0100, stefano scotti wrote:

> The problem here is that  different storages refer to different
> directories, and Bacula  pretends to find the new volume in the same
> directory of the old one.
> Now that the MediaType is the same, no fatal errors are exposed, but Bacula
> is not really changing the storage, it is only misled thinking that the new
> volume will be found in the same storage of the old one, but it won't.
>
> Can you please, Uwe, tell me if i'm wrong on that point and, if not, tell
> me if there's any solution about it?
>
> Thank you.

Hi Stefano,

some soft links will help here so bacula will find the volumes it
expects in their proper directories.

We once ran a setup similar to yours, but have since moved all volumes
(incrementals and fulls) to a single directory.

Just create a soft link to the volume that bacula expects in the
directory it's looking for and you should be good; not pretty, but it
should work ;)

Uwe

That seems a working solution, but creating a symbolic link for every volume required by a restore job introduces a manual operation that would be better to avoid, especially if a lot of incremental volumes are being considered.

I suppose that using "vchanger", suggested by John in this thread, or the "disk-changer" script, provided by Bacula, is the only solution to automate the symbolic links creation.

But, in my opinion, an Autochanger is a too specific tape related concept that introduces a lot of complexity that is not really needed by a filesystem solution, i'd prefer not to deal with redundant configuration tasks performed exclusively in order to work around software architectural lacks... but of course i will if i'm obliged to: in my environment it is important to have different directories for each job level.

Do you, Uwe, confirm that an Autochanger is the only way to have working and automated restore jobs with volumes in different directories?

Thank you again.