Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Restores fail because of multiple storages

2013-12-16 11:13:17
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Restores fail because of multiple storages
From: stefano scotti <scottistefano91 AT gmail DOT com>
To: Uwe Schuerkamp <uwe.schuerkamp AT nionex DOT net>, stefano scotti <scottistefano91 AT gmail DOT com>, bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2013 17:09:18 +0100

2013/12/16 Uwe Schuerkamp <uwe.schuerkamp AT nionex DOT net>
On Fri, Dec 13, 2013 at 04:43:29PM +0100, stefano scotti wrote:
> i took a step forward.
>
> i understood that the problem arise only if i try to restore a directory
> whose files are present in different volumes.
> if i try to restore a single file i don't have any problem, that's because
> Bacula is able to identify the correct volume associated with that file.
>
> but, if files are in different volumes and if volumes are stored in
> different storages, Bacula fails to restore files with the error i posted
> before.
>
> i can observe this behaviour in Bacula  5.0.2 and in Bacula 5.2.6
>
> is it a bug, an architecture error or a configuration issue?
>
> thanks again.

Hi Stefano,

in order for bacula to be able to "assemble" all required volumes from
different storages during a restore involving multiple volumes, you
need to make sure all storages are using an identical media type.

All the best, Uwe

--
NIONEX --- Ein Unternehmen der Bertelsmann SE & Co. KGaA

Hi Uwe,

Thanks for your reply, that solution seems a lot easier compared to the "autochanger" one.
I tried to make the MediaType the same for every storage and device and the situation got better, but it hasn't completely solved yet.

Now, bacula produce this message:

16-dic 14:09 thisdir JobId 609: Start Restore Job RestoreFiles.2013-12-16_14.09.30_03
16-dic 14:09 thisdir JobId 609: Using Device "JobName_full"
16-dic 14:09 thisdir-sd JobId 609: Ready to read from volume "JobName_full_1" on device "JobName_full" (/path/to/storage/JobName_full).
16-dic 14:09 thisdir-sd JobId 609: Forward spacing Volume "JobName_full_1" to file:block 0:231.
*messages
16-dic 14:09 thisdir-sd JobId 609: End of Volume at file 0 on device "JobName_full" (/path/to/storage/JobName_full), Volume "JobName_full_1"
16-dic 14:09 thisdir-sd JobId 609: Warning: acquire.c:239 Read open device "JobName_full" (/path/to/storage/JobName_full) Volume "JobName_diff_5" failed: ERR=dev.c:568 Could not open: /path/to/storage/JobName_full, ERR=No such file or directory

Followed by this mouting request:

16-dic 14:09 thisdir-sd JobId 609: Please mount Volume "JobName_diff_5" for:
    Job:          RestoreFiles.2013-12-16_14.09.30_03
    Storage:      "JobName_full" (/path/to/storage/JobName_full)
    Pool:         thisdir_catalog
    Media type:   JobName

The problem here is that  different storages refer to different directories, and Bacula  pretends to find the new volume in the same directory of the old one.
Now that the MediaType is the same, no fatal errors are exposed, but Bacula is not really changing the storage, it is only misled thinking that the new volume will be found in the same storage of the old one, but it won't.

Can you please, Uwe, tell me if i'm wrong on that point and, if not, tell me if there's any solution about it?

Thank you.