Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] question about backup levels

2013-08-08 17:26:49
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] question about backup levels
From: Greg Woods <greg AT gregandeva DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2013 15:23:03 -0600
OK, I think I have it figured out, and it's not pretty. I suspect that
most of the backups I have already done are useless and I will have to
repeat all of the Full backups and start all over again.

The answer came when I tried to do a restore. I thought, OK, if I messed
up the director configuration, why not restore the version of
bacula-dir.conf prior to my most recent set of changes and see what
happens if I use that? The problem was that I was unable to find this
file on the Full backup. It's simply not there. And here's the problem,
in my template client:

Client {
  Name = "CLIENT-NAME"
  Address = CLIENT-NAME.gregandeva.net
  Catalog = "GregAndEva"
  Password = "bkup$ucks"
  File Retention = 200
  Job Retention = 200
}

I thought I was specifying retention times of 200 days, but I'll bet I'm
not, and in fact, my Full backups have been pruned and everything
removed from the Catalog. This is particularly bad because I've already
got my backup storage drive about 25% full, and it's full of stuff that
is useless because without the catalog entries, it can never be
accessed. So that means I'll just have to wipe the backup drive clean,
purge all of the current records in the catalog, and redo all the full
backups (which literally took days to complete). AAAAAUUUGH! Lucy pulled
the football away again :-)

So what's the easiest way to clear everything out so I can start over?
Drop the database and reload it from the bacula.sql script?

--Greg