Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] question about backup levels

2013-08-08 15:41:20
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] question about backup levels
From: Greg Woods <greg AT gregandeva DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2013 13:38:28 -0600
On Thu, 2013-08-08 at 14:39 -0400, John Drescher wrote:
> Make sure the times of the folders (modified and ctime) also any
> attributes are not changing between backups.

I suppose it's good to check the obvious and the stupid first, but I
don't think that's it. I don't know how to check to see if "attributes"
are changing, but it seems unlikely that would be happening on all my
desktops and servers. Here's one example:

|    27 | confusion     | 2013-08-04 06:16:04 | B    | F     |  726,854
|  27,626,867,742 | T         |

|    38 | confusion     | 2013-08-07 00:05:58 | B    | I     |      684
|   1,786,383,078 | T         |
|    47 | confusion     | 2013-08-08 00:11:09 | B    | I     |  726,862
|  28,140,663,999 | T         |

FileSet {
  Name = "confusion"
  Include {
    Options {
      signature = MD5
    }
   File = /
   File = /old
  }

#
# If you backup the root directory, the following two excluded
#   files can be useful
#
  Exclude {
    File = /var/spool/bacula
    File = /tmp
    File = /proc
    File = /tmp
    File = /.journal
    File = /.fsck
  }
}

[root@confusion /]# find / -xdev -mtime -2 -print | wc -l
409
[root@confusion /]# find /old -xdev -mtime -2 -print | wc -l
0
[root@confusion /]# find /old -xdev -ctime -2 -print | wc -l
0
[root@confusion /]# find / -xdev -ctime -2 -print | wc -l
719

Some of the ctime and mtime changes are likely for the same files, but
in any case, it doesn't look like there should have been more than 1100
files or so on today's incremental, instead there were 726,000. Anything
else I can use besides "find" to see what ought to be in an
incremental?

I'm sure it's either something I've done wrong or something I don't
understand about how Bacula is supposed to work.

Just for grins, I tried explicitly entering a Job stanza for the
incremental backups, like this:

Job {
  Name = "CLIENT-NAME-Incremental"
  JobDefs = "DefaultJob"
  Type = Backup
  Level = Incremental
  Schedule = CLIENT-NAME
  Client = CLIENT-NAME
  File Set = CLIENT-NAME
}

If after this change, I do "estimate" and select confusion-Incremental,
it still says 726,000 files will be backed up.

--Greg