Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] base backups increase backup duration for full backups considerably (was: Re: Bacula director consumes all CPU after full backup)

2012-11-09 15:48:41
Subject: [Bacula-users] base backups increase backup duration for full backups considerably (was: Re: Bacula director consumes all CPU after full backup)
From: Felix Schwarz <felix.schwarz AT oss.schwarz DOT eu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2012 21:44:37 +0100
Hey,

Am 05.11.2012 16:27, schrieb Marco van Wieringen:
> strace is about the worst way of determining what is going on. If you really
> want to know what is going on I would say run the fd/sd/dir with a -f -d 100
> to debug it.

Did that and I found out that Bacula was somehow busy adding all the files to
the DB with constant communication between FD and director.

Now I found out that a full backup eventually suceeds even in a base backup
setting - it just takes 2:30 while a full backup without prior base job is
done in 1:30.

So my question is if anyone uses base jobs and how it works?

In my current setting I save a lot of space on full backups (90%+) but it
takes considerably longer for the backup to complete. My main goal was
actually to reduce the backup times (with space savings only in the second
place).

On my setup it looks like no single resource (CPU, RAM, IO, network) was maxed
out. Might it be that base backups/full backups are just not optimized at all?

Any pointers/suggestions appreciated.

fs