Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] It's possible to use Bacula with PostgreSQL 9.1.x?

2011-12-26 16:14:59
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] It's possible to use Bacula with PostgreSQL 9.1.x?
From: "Joseph L. Casale" <jcasale AT activenetwerx DOT com>
To: "bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2011 21:12:08 +0000
>The funky things is we build for pure stock release and CentOS 6 has only
>postgresql 8.4.4

Maybe you missed the OPs query about the libpq.so.4 dep? Not sure what provides
that? I
saw that in a recent build, looks like its resolved now as it correctly
requires libpq.so.5.

>jlc : about the cleaning, in rpm way and guidlines (cross-distribution) we
>don't have the right
> to remove something that has been touched (there's the purge option for that)

Uhm, when you `yum update` you often get the new package installed alongside
the old one,
as well as when you attempt to simply remove the packages, the scripts section
has issues
and leaves you no choice but to remove with a --noscripts. I think you need to
review your
postun's at a minimum.

Are the init scripts getting left behind no an uninstall ok?

>Also you never send any comment or feedback against the package, we're trying
>to build
> for the community. emails are in spec, in build environnement etc.

Actually I did and it went unanswered?

>As we are only humans, working for free, sorry we can't get it perfect on the
>first try.

I don’t object to that, and I do appreciate the effort but for people without
devel environments
and or the knowledge and infrastructure to test all this, the packages in a
broken state cause
more harm than good, no?

>and second point the lenght of the spec, omg the simone has 1160 lines our
>1360  ... wtf!
>sorry bacula is not simple as a plasmoid to package especially when you try to
>get build
>and working for 12 distributions version.

I guess it's not the line count specifically, but how the spec file is written,
have look at them
side by side...

>But at least you are free to not trust the open build system if you want, but
>most of your
>remarks are just wrong, or fud.

Sigh, the packages have factual errors, the bad lib dep recently, the broken
postun's, do you
not see this as an issue? I don’t not trust it just for the fun of it? Which
part specifically is fud?

>And the last point, I've patched the description of the project, it's a
>factory : so not intended
>to be used on production yet!

5.2.3 is upstreams stable production release, it is somewhat misleading for a
user to then see
5.2.3 rpms that are only devel level builds when hunting for something to
install, but I guess
by the factory def you are right...