Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Fedora 16 - RHEL 5/6 Bacula RPM repository

2011-12-07 09:03:37
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Fedora 16 - RHEL 5/6 Bacula RPM repository
From: Simone Caronni <negativo17 AT gmail DOT com>
To: Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2011 15:00:21 +0100
You're welcome!

I'm updating right now RHEL 6 packages and I've added RHEL 4 packages.

Let me know if you have any issue.

Regards,
--Simone

On 7 December 2011 14:48, Rodrigo Renie Braga <rodrigorenie AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
This is AWESOME, thank you very much!

2011/12/6 Simone Caronni <negativo17 AT gmail DOT com>
Hello,

the company I was working for has been a Bacula customer for some years and went through many iterations with the Bacula developer themselves to fix and change the Enterprise Edition behaviour when we moved away from the Community Version. Their support was awesome.

Now I've changed job and I've been recently accepted as Bacula co-mantainer in Fedora. I've given a spin to the current Bacula packages in rawhide and rebuilt them for RHEL 5/6 and Fedora 16.
So far, compared to the last packages in Fedora (5.0.3) this is what is implemented:

- Nagios plugin.
- Removal of bwxconsole, gnome-console and tray-monitor.
- Removal of sqlite2.
- Added html docs.
- Reduced the number of patches.
- Made "bat" compile only on platforms that provide QT >= 4.6.2 (this and systemd are the "ifs" for building on all releases).
- Enablement of bpipe-fd.so.
- Converged all the storage backends thanks to the work introduced in 5.2.
- Fix some file layout and dependency by moving files between packages.
- POSIX.1e capabilities.
- Enablement of libtool.

Right now I'm still doing some cleanup. The next things I would like to implement are:

- QT tray monitor packaging.
- Additional cleanup (i.e. the nagios plugin needs only a library, not all bacula-common files, commands and directories).
- Provide a simple but still secure configuration by default.
- Fix all the logging by putting /var/log/bacula where appropriate.

I'm hosting the repository at:

http://repos.fedorapeople.org/repos/slaanesh/bacula/

The following architectures are supported:

RHEL5/ppc
RHEL5/x86_64
RHEL5/i386
RHEL6/ppc64
RHEL6/x86_64
RHEL6/i386
Fedora-16/i386
Fedora-16/x86_64

I'm happy to address all the package issues people might encounter and I'm available to ideas or constructive criticism regarding choices or features missing.
When I will get enough feedback that the approach used inside the package is right I will try to see if some patches could be integrated in the base code by pushing them to the bacula-devel mailing list.

Thanks & regards,
--Simone

--
You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore (R. W. Emerson).

You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore (R. W. Emerson).