Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Restore performance

2011-09-21 09:02:07
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Restore performance
From: Gavin McCullagh <gavin.mccullagh AT gcd DOT ie>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 13:58:50 +0100
Hi,

On Wed, 21 Sep 2011, Gavin McCullagh wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Sep 2011, Erik P. Olsen wrote:
>
> > I am running a very smooth bacula 5.0.3 on Fedora 14. Everything seems to
> > be OK
> > except restores which are incredibly slow. How can I debug it to see what's
> > wrong?
>
> Start off by telling us what part of the restore process is slow:
>
>  - building the file tree for selection
>  - the actual restore of files to disk
>  - something else

A few minutes after replying I noticed that you asked this in more detail
back in February and said that building the tree was the slow part.

I have suffered similar problems with MySQL explored in the thread linked
below.  By logging slow queries I managed to identify a single query which
was the primary cause.

        http://adsm.org/lists/html/Bacula-users/2010-11/msg00112.html
        http://adsm.org/lists/html/Bacula-users/2010-11/msg00187.html

Then a couple of months ago I noticed a new detail in the wiki about
_removing_ bogus indexes.  It turns out that by adding extra indexes you
can slow down MySQL SELECT queries (I think someone said it doesn't always
choose the optimal/correct index).

        http://wiki.bacula.org/doku.php?id=faq

        http://adsm.org/lists/html/Bacula-users/2011-08/msg00004.html
        http://adsm.org/lists/html/Bacula-users/2011-08/msg00007.html

It would be worth taking a look at that.

Gavin