Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] bacula IPv6 status (unofficially)

2011-06-13 05:27:37
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] bacula IPv6 status (unofficially)
From: Gavin McCullagh <gavin.mccullagh AT gcd DOT ie>
To: James Harper <james.harper AT bendigoit.com DOT au>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 10:09:48 +0100
Hi James,

On Sat, 11 Jun 2011, James Harper wrote:

> Not really directly bacula related, but one of the concerns I have with
> switching to IPv6 for LAN scale traffic is the performance of the
> various offload features in the network adapters. Did you do any
> throughput testing?

I haven't yet had time to look at performance in detail -- except to say
that none of the backups that have run since seem noticeably slower.  That
being said, it's hard to tell with incremental backups and some of our full
backups have other bottlenecks.

I'm guessing support for IP Checksum Offload, TSO et al will be driver
dependant so it may be quite messy to work out which the details of what
cards/kernels/OSes do and don't make full use of these in IPv6.

The tool to use for testing this is probably iPerf.  I must do some
investigation myself.

Gavin