Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] bacula IPv6 status (unofficially)

2011-06-12 02:25:31
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] bacula IPv6 status (unofficially)
To: "bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2011 22:12:21 -0700
Thanks for that information, that's excellent news!

Back in the 3.x days, I had tried bacula with IPv6 and had two problems. Do you
by any chance know if these two things have been resolved? I can't test it
again because I had to remove IPv6 from my test network.

The two problems I had:

- The default setting for bacula was wrong. It would only listen on IPv4 but
not IPv6 unless you explicitly added a DIRAddresses/FDAddresses/SDAddresses
section to the respective config files.

- The Windows FD could not be configured to listen on IPv6 at all.

Both issues caused problems if you specified clients or SDs by DNS name rather
than IP, and there was an AAAA record in DNS. Bacula would use the AAAA record
and try to connect over IPv6, but that connection timed out and the backup
failed. For Linux boxes, the workaround was to explicitly add the IPv6
addresses to the configuration files. For the Windows machines, I had to create
a second DNS name for the same machine that only had an A record but not an
AAAA record.

Kevin Keane