Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] MySQL versus Postgres

2011-06-06 22:20:36
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] MySQL versus Postgres
From: Alan Brown <ajb2 AT mssl.ucl.ac DOT uk>
To: Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net>
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2011 03:17:22 +0100
On 07/06/11 02:26, Phil Stracchino wrote:

>> Are there any performance implications for SSD's when they get
>> fragmented?
>
> Not enough so to notice.

I'll add this: the spool area is constantly being cleaned out so
fragmentation never gets much of a chance to build up.

As Phil says, it's mostly irrelevant on SSDs because they don't have any
seek time to speak of - however it's a _very_ good idea to make sure you
lay out the disks so that the structure conforms to the underlaying
block arrangement (there are a number of online tutorials on this) in
order to avoid erase/write cycles being split over 2 blocks - that
causes write amplification but doesn't usually matter for spooling
purposes (especially if you use SLC, which I strongly recommend for this
kind of application as it generally has far superior write speeds to MLC)

Having run postgres and SSD spooling for a couple of years now, I'd
recommend using a separate raid10 SSD for the postgres area. The
spinning media array I'm using at the moment is quite a bottleneck at
times and SSD drives are a lot cheaper than they were 2 years ago. :)

If you have money to burn, consider using a PCIe SSD, but SATA SSD is
fast enough for most purposes.