Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] MySQL versus Postgres

2011-06-06 15:59:02
Subject: [Bacula-users] MySQL versus Postgres
From: Mike Seda <maseda AT stanford DOT edu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2011 12:55:52 -0700
All,
I'm still doing some testing with Bacula in my new environment. After
one week of backups, Bacula is storing approximately 25,000,000 files
(10 TB of data). Our other 5 TBs of data is not in Bacula yet, but will
be soon. Our 15 TB of total data will also grow by 50% each year.

Postgres seems to be handling the current amount of data decently for us
thus far. I just want to make sure that Postgres is the right choice
(performance-wise) before I push forward with this solution.

I recently read that Postgres is recommended over MySQL for larger
Bacula installations. I just wanted to get your thoughts on that.

BTW, the current environment lives inside ESX, but the new environment
will live on a dedicated box with the following specs:
- Dell PE 1950 III
- 32 GB of RAM
- 2 x 300 GB SAS 15K RAID 1
- 2-drive FC LTO-4 TL4000 library for copying File storage to tape
- SAN-attached LUNS for spooling and File storage

Thanks,
Mike