Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Base jobs and incremental backups

2011-05-24 16:30:20
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Base jobs and incremental backups
From: Pablo Marques <pmarques AT miamilinux DOT net>
To: tipmeabout AT gmail DOT com
Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 16:26:48 -0400 (EDT)
You are right about the documentation. It should work the way you describe it.

When you do a FULL after the BASE, it should "examine" all the files and only backup those that have changed since the BASE (which they should be very few or none).

Can you show us your configuration files to verify you are not missing something?
As I understand it, the accurate backup requires the director to send all the file definitions of a previous backup to the client, for the client to decide what has changed.
That may take a while if the bandwidth is not there.

These are my job definitions config file for one of my servers:
Job {
  Name = "server-base-fd-data"
  JobDefs = "jobbaculadefs"
  Client = server-fd
  FileSet = "server-set"
  Pool = Yearly
  Level = Base
}
Job {
  Name = "server-fd-data"
  JobDefs = "jobbaculadefs"
  Client = server-fd
  Schedule = "IncWeeklyCycle"
  FileSet = "server-set"
  Client Run Before Job = "C:/windows/system32/ntbackup.exe backup systemstate  /J  \"vmbackup Backup\" /F \"C:\\SystemStateBackup.bkf\"  /R:yes  /L:f  /SNAP:on"
  Base = server-base-fd-data
  Accurate = yes
}

What I do on my setup is I first run the BASE manually, then I run a manual FULL, then I just let the regular client schedule run the usual INCREMENTALS and DIFFERENTIALS  (and FULLS).
I guess I am not using a "generic" BASE backup but a specific one per server.

Pablo