Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Base jobs and incremental backups

2011-05-16 18:10:37
Subject: [Bacula-users] Base jobs and incremental backups
From: TipMeAbout <tipmeabout AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 00:07:09 +0200
Hello all,

I use Bacula for some times now and I experiment now the base job backup.
I have to solve a problem and I need help: I have to backup a laptop.

This laptop is most of the time connected by wifi. As it contains quite large
data, I have decided to do a full the 1st of each month and an incremental the
other days.
To let the full run quickly, I decided that the laptop will be connected by
its LAN 1Gb connection the 1st and by wifi the rest of the month. So I have 2
client instances configured: "client-lan" and "client-wlan", one for each type
of backup, each with its own IP address. But when I start an incremental for
"client-wlan", Bacula tells me it does not find a valid full, so it starts a
full through the wifi connection. Too long !!
I have decided to do a base job the 1st of the month by LAN for instance
"client-lan" and then each incremental for "client-wlan" would be based on
this base job. It does not work neither as it still starts a full backup in
wifi mode instead of incremental. I have read that a base job is like a full
and let full backup base on it: so I change my incremental backup by a full
with hope it would saved only some datas, for instance "client-wlan". But
after a while running, I have the impression Bacula does a new total full
without taking into consideration the base job backup.

So my questions are simple: does base job can be used with incremental backups
to realise what I would like and how to do that ?

Thanks in advance for your help !

JC

--
http://www.tipmeabout.org