Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Bacula Full weekly backup setup [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

2011-05-23 00:21:01
Subject: [Bacula-users] Bacula Full weekly backup setup [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]
From: "Alan Langley" <alan.langley AT naa.gov DOT au>
To: <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 23 May 2011 14:17:17 +1000
UNCLASSIFIED

Hello,

I'd like to set up a schedule in Bacula to do the following:

        1. A full backup on each Friday. {approximately 3 - 4 tapes on
an 24 slot auto-changer}
        2. Unload these tapes, so they can be transported offsite
        3. Load new tapes and have them ready for the next full backup.
        4. After 3 - 4 weeks reuse the first tapes (cycle thru the
tapes).

So all backups at this point are full backs happening each Friday which
are then taken offsite for DR and new tapes are put in to the pool to be
used in the next backup. This would be in a monthly cycle.

Can you explain what pools, schedules I'd need to setup? I'm getting
full backups at present but I'm not sure what to do to get the new tapes
to be recognised by bacula?

I guess I need to load 12 -16 tapes into my pool and set the retention
period to a month? Once the full backup is completed each week take out
the tapes that have been written to and allow Bacula to write to the
next tape in the pool? I wouldn't want the last tape to be appendable,
so would have to mark that tape as Full some how?

I would be looking at doing incremental on weekdays (Mon - Thu) as well
(but would like to crawl before I can walk).

Re: Incremental I assuming that this would be an individual pool setup
with Xxx (probably only 1 - 2 tapes weekly) amount of tapes which would
also have to be sent offsite as well.

Has any documentation been written on this sort of backup?

Alan Langley

Systems Manager

Archival Business Systems

The National Archives of Australia