Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Maximum Volume Bytes

2011-05-20 16:32:08
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Maximum Volume Bytes
From: Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 20 May 2011 16:28:51 -0400
On 05/20/11 14:38, Mike Seda wrote:
> All,
> Nevermind about dedup with Bacula. It seems that the current block
> format doesn't work too well with it:
> http://changelog.complete.org/archives/5547-research-on-deduplicating-disk-based-and-cloud-backups
>
> I'm getting descent compression rates though with LZJB (compression=on),
> which makes it compelling enough to stick with ZFS.
>
> My original question of recommended "Maximum Volume Bytes" size still
> stands though. The documentation seems to recommend 50 GB, but we need
> to backup 15 TB of data. I'm just wondering if that changes things or not.

Mike,
FYI, I set up my Bacula disk volumes such that ALL OF a single night's
backup jobs, regardless of level, and ONLY that single night's backup
jobs, go into a single Bacula volume.  (Except for my main server, which
is backed up directly to LTO2 tape.)  At this moment in time, the
smallest volume in spool/bacula (yes, it's a Solaris 10 box with a
12-disk ZFS array) is 5.8GB; the largest, 201GB.  I have seen disk
volumes as large as 450GB in the past.  I have not run into any problems
with this scheme and with this range of volume sizes.

co.ordinate DOT org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.