Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Maximum Volume Bytes

2011-05-20 14:41:27
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Maximum Volume Bytes
From: Mike Seda <maseda AT stanford DOT edu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 20 May 2011 11:38:02 -0700
All,
Nevermind about dedup with Bacula. It seems that the current block
format doesn't work too well with it:
http://changelog.complete.org/archives/5547-research-on-deduplicating-disk-based-and-cloud-backups

I'm getting descent compression rates though with LZJB (compression=on),
which makes it compelling enough to stick with ZFS.

My original question of recommended "Maximum Volume Bytes" size still
stands though. The documentation seems to recommend 50 GB, but we need
to backup 15 TB of data. I'm just wondering if that changes things or not.

Cheers,
Mike