Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Maximum Volume Bytes

2011-05-20 13:52:13
Subject: [Bacula-users] Maximum Volume Bytes
From: Mike Seda <maseda AT stanford DOT edu>
To: Bacula Users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2011 10:48:42 -0700
Hi All,
I'm currently setting up a disk-based storage pool in Bacula and am
wondering what I should set "Maximum Volume Bytes" to. I was thinking of
setting it to "100G", but am just wondering if this is sane.

FYI, the total data of our clients is 15 TB, but we are told that this
data should at least double each year.

I noticed that there seems to be a limit on the number of disk-based
volumes in a pool due to the suffix having 4 digits, i.e. 0001. This
adds up to about 10,000 possible volumes per pool. So 10,000 volumes x
100 GB is 1 PB. That seems like overkill. Perhaps setting "Maximum
Volume Bytes = 10G" would be more reasonable since this would add up to
100 TB.

I'm also storing these file volumes on ZFS (v28 w/ dedup=on), and am
wondering if smaller volumes will dedup better than larger ones. I'm
curious to see what others are doing to take advantage of dedup-enabled
ZFS storage w/ Bacula.

Thanks,
Mike