Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Multiple Storage (and Director) Daemons

2011-05-12 03:55:47
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Multiple Storage (and Director) Daemons
From: Philip Yarra <pyarra AT radoncvic.com DOT au>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 17:52:54 +1000
On 12/05/11 12:41, Mike Seda wrote:
> During my research on the above solution, I read that it's possible to
> run multiple storage (and director) daemons. This was very interesting
> to me, but I'm just wondering what the reasons would be for doing so.

I'm running two storage daemons, each on a Netgear ReadyNAS NV+ (cheap
SATA NAS device). The reasoning behind this is that we write alternate
weeks to each device, so in case of a total failure of one device, we
would still have 50% of our backups available.

The director lives on an HP Proliant.

As to whether this was a *good* idea, time will tell. I went through
some tricky work getting it set up, but it seems to be working well now.
I'm pretty new to bacula, so don't take what I do as an indication of
"best practice".

Another benefit we hope to gain from separating storage from director is
that we can use our central director to schedule backups, but provide
local storage daemons for some of our sites to do high-volume backups
to, without the file traffic having to traverse our WAN links to the
central storage.

You can read a bit more here:
http://pyarra.blogspot.com/2011/03/disk-based-backup-solution-bacula.html

And a warning: do NOT use mis-matched director and storage daemon versions:
http://pyarra.blogspot.com/2011/03/bacula-mis-matched-director-and-storage.html

Regards, Philip.

--
Philip Yarra