Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] friday vs saturday

2011-04-25 16:15:57
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] friday vs saturday
To: "bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2011 13:12:28 -0700
Yes, you are right. I was trying to say that based on what you wrote, you might
be able to accomplish the same thing a different way. I don't have an answer
for your exact question, just trying to help.

Here is my thinking:

The point is that as long as there is a full backup on Friday, none of your
diff backups will run on Saturday anyway - your tape drive is still busy with
the Friday backup.

You have machine 1, machine 2, machine 3 and machine 4 to back up. You want a
full backup to happen once per month on a Friday, and a differential backup of
all the other machines on a Saturday. But unless you have multiple volumes (or
allow concurrent backups), that schedule is not going to happen in the first
place - the backups all execute consecutively.

So according to your plan, you schedule a full backup of Machine 1 on the first
Friday 22:05, and a diff backup of machines 2, 3 and 4 on Saturday 22:05.
What's really going to happen is that the backup for Machine 1 takes, say, 30
hours. So the diff backup for Machine 2 actually starts on Sunday morning, 4
AM. The diff backup takes 12 hours. So Machine 3's diff backup doesn't even
start until Sunday afternoon.

And that's true regardless of whether your schedule calls for Saturday 22:05
PM, or Friday, 22:10 PM. So there really is no reason to schedule on the
Saturday in the first place.

Again, concurrency could throw a monkeywrench into that plan (although I think
priorities should still keep it working the same way)

Kevin Keane
The NetTech
(North County Tech Center, LLC dba The NetTech)
760-721-8339
http://www.4nettech.com