Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Changing End time of a Virtual Full Backup?

2011-04-25 16:25:54
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Changing End time of a Virtual Full Backup?
From: Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2011 16:23:21 -0400
On 04/25/11 13:46, prestonw wrote:
> I just started using Bacula and am very impressed with its feature
> set. I'm currently backup up a mix of around 14 Linux and Windows
> clients using an "Incrementals Forever" model straight to disk which
> is replicated to an off-site disk. This system, so far, is working
> fantastic, but I'm worried about future expansion in the coming years
> and I'm wondering if it is possible to change the end time when doing
> a Virtual Full backup. This would allow me to basically roll my
> starting full and incremental backups into a single full backup and
> allow me to remove them. On systems where we have a significant
> amount of changing files, this could lead to a lot of recovered disk
> space.

I'm not sure what you mean by "changing end time".  But, if you create a
VirtualFull backup, then future incrementals and differentials should
run against that VirtualFull.  The "incrementals forever" model is
pretty risky ... it can mean that a restore requires a HUGE number of
jobs restored, and can fail if any of them is missing.

co.ordinate DOT org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.