Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] friday vs saturday

2011-04-25 12:45:54
Subject: [Bacula-users] friday vs saturday
From: hymie! <hymie AT lactose.homelinux DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2011 12:42:48 -0400
So I have four machines whose full backups take more than 24 hours.
As an additional problem, one of those 4 machines takes 12 hours just
to do an Incremental/Differential backup.  (The full backup takes 43
hours.)

I had the idea that I would assign each machine its own Friday to do
a full backup, where no other backups would take place.  Then on Saturday,
each of the machines that didn't just do a full backup would do a Differential
backup.  Finally, incrementals the rest of the week.

I was just about to set up schedules for these boxes that look something
like this:

Schedule {
  Name = "1stFridayFull"
  Run = Full 1st fri at 22:05
  Run = Differential 2nd-5th sat at 22:05
  Run = Incremental sun-thu at 22:05
}
Schedule {
  Name = "2ndFridayFull"
  Run = Full 2nd fri at 22:05
  Run = Differential 1st sat at 22:05
  Run = Differential 3nd-5th sat at 22:05
  Run = Incremental sun-thu at 22:05
}

But then I realized -- sometimes, the day after the 1st Friday is the
2nd Saturday.

(caution: monospaced font ahead)
    October 2011
Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa
                   1
 2  3  4  5  6  7  8
 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31

So it seems that, on Fri 7 October, my 1stFriFull machine will do a full
backup; on Sat 8 October, that same machine will do a Differential backup.

Meanwhile, my 2ndFriFull machine will do a Differential on Sat 1 October,
incrementals during the week, nothing at all on the 7th or 8th, more
incrementals, before finally doing a Full backup on the 14th...
again followed immediately by a Differential backup on the 15th.

Is there a way to avoid this problem and accomplish what I want to
accomplish?  The only thing that comes to mind is with unusual time
math, such as scheduleing my Differential backups for Friday at 46:05;
but I doubt that Bacula supports this.

--hymie!    http://lactose.homelinux.net/~hymie    hymie AT lactose.homelinux
DOT net