Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Tape Drive Contention

2011-04-25 11:39:58
Subject: [Bacula-users] Tape Drive Contention
From: "Kurzawa, Greg" <GKurzawa AT pamida DOT com>
To: <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2011 10:36:08 -0500

Hi everyone,

I've got an LTO drive utilization/scheduling problem that I'm hoping someone can help with.

I have a Schedule shared by two different Clients.  This schedule runs a daily incremental at 20:00, and a Virtual Full Mondays at 08:00.  The dailys work great; the part I'm having problems with is the Virtual Full.

Both Clients have their own disk Pools, but share a tape Pool.

I have an autochanger with two LTO4 drives:

Autochanger {

  name = "TS3310"

  device = ULT3580-TD4_0, ULT3580-TD4_1

  changer device = /dev/changer

  changer command = "/opt/bacula/sbin/mtx-changer %c %o %S %a %d"

}

Device {

  name = "ULT3580-TD4_0"

  media type = LTO4

  changer device = /dev/changer

  archive device = /dev/nst0

  drive index = 0

  autochanger = yes

}

Device {

  name = "ULT3580-TD4_1"

  media type = LTO4

  changer device = /dev/changer

  archive device = /dev/nst1

  drive index = 1

  autochanger = yes

}

When the Virtual Full Jobs start, the first Client grabs both Devices, one to read from and one to write to.

The second Client promptly fails when it tries to grab a Device for reading:

Fatal error: acquire.c:166 No suitable device found to read Volume

What I was expecting was that the second job would see that both LTO4 Devices are in use and wait a certain amount of time before failing.  Does anyone know how I can make this happen short of staggering my schedules?

Greg