Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Speeding up pruning

2011-04-05 09:38:16
Subject: [Bacula-users] Speeding up pruning
From: Dermot Beirne <dermot.beirne AT dpd DOT ie>
To: martin AT lispworks DOT com
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2011 14:35:07 +0100

>> I'm sure that would be fine, but I'm having difficulty automatically
>> determining which volumes are ok to prune. I need to compare the last
>> written time to the current time and the volumes retention, and check the
>> job type and status too to narrow the selection.

>Why do you need to do that?  The prune jobs command does most of what you
>want, using the configured retention times etc.
>
>__Martin

I am trying to prune Volumes, not jobs.

If I use the prune command manually, I have to know what volume I want
it to prune, and which pool it's in.

To identify the volume, I need to check that it's past it retention
time before I prune it.

I currently have a volume in a pool which is several weeks past it's
retention time.
The mediaid is 986.

After running prune, choosing Volume, and then the pool, I am
presented with a list of volumes in that pool.

When I enter the ID, it tells me the current retention time is 2 days,
even though it was last written to back in January:

Enter *MediaId or Volume name: *986
The current Volume retention period is: 2 days
Continue? (yes/mod/no):

I have to choose Yes to get it to prune it.

Is the above normal, and is there some way, given a pool, it will just
prune any volume in that pool past the retention.
I want that to happen on a schedule, to both clear old disk volumes
and free space (using truncate), and also for my Tape volumes, to put
them back in the scratch pool automatically once expired.
Currently, when scratch tapes run low, I have to go through my Tape
volumes, and purge the oldest manually.  Even then, they only
sometimes go to the scratch pool, other times I have to manually
change the pool to the Scratch pool after purging.
The Next Pool directive is set to Scratch in the Pool configuration
for all my Tape pools.

Dermot.