Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Speeding up pruning

2011-04-05 02:43:40
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Speeding up pruning
From: Dermot Beirne <dermot.beirne AT dpd DOT ie>
To: DylanV AT semaphore DOT com
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2011 07:40:44 +0100

On 5 Apr 2011 03:43, "Dylan Vanderhoof" <DylanV AT semaphore DOT com> wrote:

> Why not run a manual prune command via cron and bconsole for night maint rather than hitting the DB directly?
>
> I ran into issues where my tapes weren't getting cycled as fast as I'd like, so basically did what you are talking about via bconsole/cron and it seems to have solved the problem.
>
> -Dylan Vanderhoof
> Sr. Network Engineer
> Semaphore Corporation
> http://www.semaphore.com
>
> On Apr 4, 2011, at 2:51 PM, Dermot Beirne wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > I'm using bacula 5.0.3 on ubuntu 9.04.
> >
> > I want to know if its possible to find the sql query (or whatever is
> > used) that bacula runs when it needs to prune and recycle a volume.
> >
> > I would like this to run once a night, for each of my disk pools (say
> > via a runscript), to prune them once their retention period has
> > expired, rather than waiting until it can't create a new one.
> >
> > I would then like to invoke the truncate command to recover the disk
> > space occupied by the just pruned disk volumes.
> >
> > I've been trying to write my own sql statement, but i'm struggling.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Dermot.

I'm sure that would be fine, but I'm having difficulty automatically determining which volumes are ok to prune. I need to compare the last written time to the current time and the volumes retention, and check the job type and status too to narrow the selection.

I'd be very grateful if you could share your method for achieving this, unless I'm trying to over engineer it.

Thanks,
Dermot.