Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] what do you do when bacula stops working for no goodreason?

2011-04-04 22:58:40
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] what do you do when bacula stops working for no goodreason?
From: "James Harper" <james.harper AT bendigoit.com DOT au>
To: <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2011 12:55:51 +1000

> Hi there,
> this is probably bad form as I'm essentially asking the same question
twice
> but I'm in a bit of a bind so here goes. Last week I posted this issue
> regarding the fact that it looks like bacula just randomly decided not
> backup a bunch of files.

http://www.backupcentral.com/phpBB2/two-way-mirrors-of-external-mailing-
lists-
> 3/bacula-25/bacula-has-only-backed-up-part-of-a-directory-110828/
>
> I got a couple of replies which didn't pan out, I've been doing some
reading
> myself and digging through logs and so far I've got absolutely squat.
No idea
> why this happened, no idea how to stop it happening or how to test for
it
> without running a restore of every backup we do every day. I also
can't
> reproduce the issue.
>
> So here I am, we've got hundreds of servers that backup using bacula
and now
> because this has happened I can't trust bacula. OK, it's only happened
once in
> the years that I've been using this software but if I don't know why
it
> happened, how can I be sure it won't happen again? Maybe it's already
happened
> and we won't find out until we try another directory with missing
files.

> If anyone has any suggestions as to my next step, I'd appreciate it.
>

> Hi there,
> backup server is Debian lenny running bacula 5.02, client is debian
sarge
> running bacula 1.38.11.

1.38.11 is ancient. It's certainly old enough that the only advice
you're likely to get is "upgrade to the latest version".

Unfortunately that's not going to be as easy as just downloading a
backported deb as sarge hasn't been supported in a while, but you might
be able to find a backport that's at least a bit newer than 1.38.11.

This problem doesn't coincide with any DST related timezone changes does
it? It shouldn't matter as all the timestamp measurements are done in
UTC but Sarge may not be up to date with timezones. It would only affect
any files modified within an hour of the original backup too.

James