Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] what do you do when bacula stops working for no good reason?

2011-04-04 12:20:23
Subject: [Bacula-users] what do you do when bacula stops working for no good reason?
From: dobbin <bacula-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2011 09:16:52 -0700
Hi there,
this is probably bad form as I'm essentially asking the same question twice but
I'm in a bit of a bind so here goes. Last week I posted this issue regarding
the fact that it looks like bacula just randomly decided not to backup a bunch
of files.

I got a couple of replies which didn't pan out, I've been doing some reading
myself and digging through logs and so far I've got absolutely squat. No idea
why this happened, no idea how to stop it happening or how to test for it
without running a restore of every backup we do every day. I also can't
reproduce the issue.

So here I am, we've got hundreds of servers that backup using bacula and now
because this has happened I can't trust bacula. OK, it's only happened once in
the years that I've been using this software but if I don't know why it
happened, how can I be sure it won't happen again? Maybe it's already happened
and we won't find out until we try another directory with missing files.

If anyone has any suggestions as to my next step, I'd appreciate it.

Hi there,
backup server is Debian lenny running bacula 5.02, client is debian sarge
running bacula 1.38.11.

The server is a web server and on the 22nd a copy was made of the main site, if
you look at the backup job for that day, you can see an extra 4000 files. We're
running daily incrementals with a full at the start of the month.

Then a second copy was made on the 25th but the incrementals just show a few
dozen new files.

So we've got the original and two copies, let's call them

www.mysite.com
copy1.mysite.com
copy2.mysite.com

Today we went to restore copy2.mysite.com, if we select "restore most recent
backup for client" or "restore before specified time" then we get back 43 files
out of 4000. If I just pick "restore" then I get 107 files out of 4000. This is
the same if I go back a few days.
We can restore copy1.mysite.com but that's no use to us

A file verify ran on the 26th and it shows all the files from copy2.mysite.com
but not copy1.mysite.com

Backups ran without any errors, I've checked the alert emails. I'm trying to
run bscan on the volumes to see if that produces any different results but I'm
having trouble with the syntax.

Does anyone have any idea where the files are and how I can stop this happening
again? My first thought was that the directories weren't copied but symlinked,
I'm assured this is not the case.

BTW, I'm not using tape, this is all on disk