Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] DebianSqueeze Installation Issue

2011-02-28 11:30:43
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] DebianSqueeze Installation Issue
From: Rory Campbell-Lange <rory AT campbell-lange DOT net>
To: Dene Stringfellow <support AT ridgedale.co DOT uk>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 16:27:47 +0000
On 28/02/11, Dene Stringfellow (support AT ridgedale.co DOT uk) wrote:
> Thank you for your feedback.
> I now have the following bacula modules on my server:
>
> ii  bacula                             5.0.2-2.2
> ii  bacula-client                      5.0.2-2.2
> ii  bacula-common                      5.0.2-2.2+b1
> ii  bacula-common-mysql                5.0.2-2.2+b1
> rc  bacula-common-sqlite3              5.0.2-2.2+b1
> ii  bacula-console                     5.0.2-2.2+b1
> ii  bacula-director-common             5.0.2-2.2+b1
> ii  bacula-director-mysql              5.0.2-2.2+b1
> rc  bacula-director-sqlite3            5.0.2-2.2+b1
> ii  bacula-doc                         5.0.2-1
> ii  bacula-fd                          5.0.2-2.2+b1
> ii  bacula-sd                          5.0.2-2.2+b1
> ii  bacula-sd-mysql                    5.0.2-2.2+b1
> ii  bacula-server                      5.0.2-2.2
> ii  bacula-traymonitor                 5.0.2-2.2+b1
>

> I already have other MySQL databases running so I really want to try
> to get Bacula working with MySQL.
>
> Can I ask, though, are there advantages in running Postgresql as
> opposed to MySQL? If so, what do you perceive them to be?

Hi Dene

If you are already running MySQL on the server and you are familiar with
administering it, that is probably the best RDMS to use.

Choosing one over the other is the subject of many flamewars. There are
some notes here: http://www.wikivs.com/wiki/MySQL_vs_PostgreSQL and
http://www.bacula.org/5.0.x-manuals/en/main/main/Installing_Configuring_Post.html

We use Postgresql for a number of large web applications and we have
found it very robust and easily upgradeable over several versions. We
also make extensive use of stored procedures.

Regards
Rory

--
Rory Campbell-Lange