Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] DebianSqueeze Installation Issue

2011-02-28 08:54:22
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] DebianSqueeze Installation Issue
From: Randy Katz <rkatz AT simplicityhosting DOT com>
To: support AT ridgedale.co DOT uk
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 05:49:25 -0800
On 2/28/2011 12:17 AM, Dene Stringfellow wrote:
I am wondering if anyone could provide some assistance. I have just upgraded Debian Lenny to Squeeze on my server and decided to try Bacula to set up a disk-to-disk (initial full backup) daily incremental backup using two (NTFS formatted) external drives rotated on a weekly basis, so one disk is held off-site while the other is in use. I'm not trying to back up clients at this point.

I ran the following command to install Bacula:

apt-get install bacula

The installation appeared to be successful although I did notice during the installation process that SQLite appeared to be being installed - surprising since I have an active MySQL server installation.

When I then went into the Webmin Bacula module in an attempt to start configuring a backup I was presented with the following error:

Failed to connect to the Bacula database : Failed to load the database DBI driver SQLite at ./bacula-backup-lib.pl line 44. Maybe it is not set up, or the module configuration is incorrect.

... so I checked Module Config and tried changing the path to the database to:

/var/lib/bacula/bacula.db

... but that didn't work either.

I checked online to see if anyone else had had a similar problem and came across a post that recommended checking to see that the (DBI or DBD) perl driver for mysql was installed. I checked and have the following related perl modules installed:

libdb-file-lock-perl 0.05-3
libdbd-mysql-perl 4.016-1
libdbi-perl 1.612-1

Next I tried changing the database server to MySQL under Module Config but that didn't work either as I get the following error:

Failed to connect to the Bacula database : Failed to login to the database /var/lib/bacula/bacula.db : Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO). Maybe it is not set up, or the module configuration is incorrect.

I realise that the path to the database may now be incorrect as it is the path to the SQLite database file.

I then tried changing the path to the database to:

/var/lib/mysql

but got a similar error:

Failed to connect to the Bacula database : Failed to login to the database /var/lib/mysql : Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO). Maybe it is not set up, or the module configuration is incorrect.

I then checked the Users and can see that a user called bacula has been created (primary group = bacula; secondary groups = tape).

Then I checked MySQL Database Server (via Webmin) and can see that there is no bacula database present and there is no bacula user listed under User Permissions.

Any pointers as to what to do to try and get bacula configured and started so I can get a backup up and running would be appreciated.

I understand your issue and had a similar one, what you should do is:

Make sure MySQL server daemon is up and running (if you will use MySQL, if not use postgresql).
mysqladmin create bacula (of course you will need privileges to do this)
then /etc/bacula/make_bacula_tables
in /etc/bacula/bacula-dir.conf
make sure your line (search for dbname) is correct:

dbname = "bacula"; dbuser = "root"; dbpassword = "correct pass for root"

if you want to use the dbuser bacula make sure you have created it in MySQL and used
the GRANT statement to give it permissions and updated the password for the bacula database.

That should do it for you.

Regards,
Randy